Long Island, New York as a whole is often referred to as a bedroom community of New York City. But, Long Island is much more than that. It is a fish-shaped island that sits in the Atlantic Ocean and is connected to Manhattan by several bridges and tunnels. It was once inhabited by American Indians and as the years passed much of it was turned into farm land and ship building communities by the European settlers. It played a part in the American Revolution and in WWII. Eventually, the farms and shipbuilding communities dwindled while suburban homes and towns grew up throughout the island. Because it is an island surrounded by water it has a vast and beautiful coastline. Although now a very cosmopolitan area to this day Long Island is still filled with natural beauty of all types. It is my beloved home. To enlarge a photo just click on it. And, here is my little corner of Long Island....

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

A SUMMER SUNSET AT COW MEADOW PARK IN NORTHPORT, LONG ISLAND

We headed into Northport for dinner on a beautiful August evening earlier this week.  While there we enjoyed the sunset along Northport Harbor in Cow Meadow Park.  Northport is a fun town to visit, with little shops of all kinds and it has many great restaurants.  I had a delicious lobster roll, homemade potato salad and corn on the cob dinner with a big glass of cold iced tea at the "Feed and Grain Restaurant" along main street.  Yum!

Cow Meadow park along the harbor was filled with people strolling, playing frisbee, walking dogs of all sizes, skateboarding, and biking.  Families were walking their babies and letting the little ones play in the playground while older folks sat on the many benches facing the harbor.  Eating ice cream was definitely a favorite park pastime, too.  LOL  All the while a bandstand concert was going on, as well.  Throughout the summer they hold all sorts of special events in the park. It's a wonderful place to spend a warm summer evening.  

Although I wish I'd taken more photos of the park itself, I must admit that I was most captured by the gorgeous sunset over the harbor that night.  Here are a few pictures I took while I was there....     (To enlarge a photo, please just click on it.)



Skiffs and Rowboats Tied Along Northport Dock

That's Lobster Traps Piled Up Along The Dock

Perfect Sight For An All American Summer's Evening

One Of The Many Gorgeous Old Ginger Bread Homes Surrounding The Park As The Sun Begins To Reflect Off It

The Sunset Begins...

 Pink Waters Beneath The Northport Pier

Beautiful Skies

And Day Is Done.....

And, now it was time to head to one of the local ice cream hot spots for a delicious chocolate cone and a stroll along Main Street :)  Thanks for looking in...


2 comments:

  1. Keep the Blog going, Judi. You know how much I love reading all about my LI and seeing the pictures makes me homesick! Thanks for the beautiful words too! Makes me feel like I was there. I'm jealous!!!
    Love, Peggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I lived in Northport for 16 years, I so enjoyed seeing these photos. Your commentary also captured its' heart perfectly. Thanks for the memories!
    Love,
    Cousin joanie

    ReplyDelete