Long Island, New York as a whole is often referred to as a bedroom community of New York City. But, Long Island is much more than that. It is a fish-shaped island that sits in the Atlantic Ocean and is connected to Manhattan by several bridges and tunnels. It was once inhabited by American Indians and as the years passed much of it was turned into farm land and ship building communities by the European settlers. It played a part in the American Revolution and in WWII. Eventually, the farms and shipbuilding communities dwindled while suburban homes and towns grew up throughout the island. Because it is an island surrounded by water it has a vast and beautiful coastline. Although now a very cosmopolitan area to this day Long Island is still filled with natural beauty of all types. It is my beloved home. To enlarge a photo just click on it. And, here is my little corner of Long Island....

Wednesday, August 8, 2012

NISSEQUOGUE RIVER STATE PARK

This week we spent an afternoon at the Nissequogue River State Park located in Kings Park, Long Island, NY.  It was a glorious summer day, clear and warm, with sparkling sunlight.  At this park is a small marina with wooded paths that lead down to the mouth of the Nissequogue River where it meets Long Island Sound.  Here are a few pictures I took of the area...  (To enlarge any of them just click on the photo.)

Little Creek

Walking Path

Nissequogue River Marina

Marina Garden

Nissequogue River as you follow along side it on the wooded path

Near The Mouth Of The River

A Panorama Of The Mouth Of The Nissequogue River

My Hubby Enjoying The Area


I hope you enjoyed your visit to this little jewel hidden away in Kings Park, Long Island.  And, thanks for looking in.


2 comments:

  1. What an eye! I think I'll keep your photos up on my computer so I can snatch a sense of peace whenever the crazy work day becomes too much!

    Kathy Huff

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're taking me to places I've never been on LI. Living there for 42 years I'm seeing something new all the time. Great work!
    Love,
    Cousin joanie

    ReplyDelete